The number one questions I’m always asked in clinic from women struggling with conceiving is what foods should I be eating more of? Well diet is a complex issue and it needs to be tackled on a holistic front but there are certain foods that increasing in your diet can help your body better perform the processes it needs to conceive, the top 5 list includes –
- Salmon – fantastic source of omega 3’s and quality protein to help reduce inflammation, reduce any underlying insulin resistance and a source of good amino acids for hormone production.
- Eggs – HIgh in vitamin D, E, zinc and a great source of protein. These nutrients are all essential for conception and hormonal support.
- Spinach – high in antioxidants, folate and B vitamins.
- Pumpkin seeds – A natural source of zinc, magnesium, and antioxidants. Zinc being particularly important for egg maturation and ovarian health
- Blueberries – a powerhouse of antioxidants and vitamin C
These foods are fantastic for antioxidant purposes, for increasing your fertility specific vitamin and minerals intake such as zinc, vitamin D, vitamin C and folate and will all help to naturally conceive. However no amount of blueberries and pumpkin seeds will balance out the consequences of a junk food diet that consists of soft drinks and takeaway. So you need to have the building blocks first to ensure your getting basic nutrition such as protein, vegetables and good oils. Finding it hard to make sustainable changes to your dietary routine? There are ways to help you make changes that will stick with your diet. Come in and see me at Merge Health wellness hub to discuss it further.